What does that button do?
Curiosity is definitely one my character traits. I usually consider this a strength of mine, but it also gets me in trouble a lot. So I thought I’d share a few stories about my recent incidents where my curiosity got the better of me.
I find that when I travel, I have the opportunity to feed my curiosity regularly. Like ordering something on the menu that I’ve never heard of; or, going up some staircase or laneway to see what’s there; or pressing random un-labelled buttons in my accommodation. And usually, it’s non eventful or even worthwhile: like the time I went through this tiny door way only to discover a vibrant local street full of restaurants and people.But occasionally it doesn’t work out so well. And lately, I’ve had a bucket-load (pun intended) of water-related incidents.
The first incident happened in my hostel in Cinque Terre, when at 7am in the shower, I decided to pull a random string which was just hanging there unsuspectingly. It’s like it was just staring at me saying “just try it… see what happens”. Turns out it’s a “call for help” string and it proceeded to set off the loudest bell and woke the whole hostel (akin to a fire alarm). Yes that was me. Scusa!
The very same day, while exploring the town of Vernazza with my friend Emma, I had the overwhelming urge to go check out the water’s edge on the rocks. So off we went, blissfully unaware of the very large wave that was making its way towards the shore of Vernazza, ready to crash right onto us. So… drenched we got. But it was very funny (according to the many people laughing at us) and we just licked our salty lips and dried off in the sun.And then this morning… another one in the shower. There was the usual shower-head and tap lever. But there was also an extra knob. You’d think I would have learned by now… but NO! So I turned the knob, and immediately was shot with streams of ice cold water straight in the face from 8 unassuming water-jets (perks of being vertically-challenged I guess). I got such a shock. I was spluttering, waving my hands around, slipped over, then fumbled until I was able to turn it off. Then I cacked myself laughing while sitting freezing in the base of the shower. I swear if there’d been a camera (and I was not starkers) it would have been a YouTube hit.
I’d say I’ve learned my lesson, but chances are I will do it again before long. Ah well… at least it makes life interesting.